Sunday, December 3, 2023

SECRETS FROM THE PAST—character interview

This week, I'm welcoming to my blog Shelby Haywood and Cameron Pierce, the main characters in SECRETS FROM THE PAST, a sensual mystery/romantic suspense—my new release from The Wild Rose Press.

Welcome Shelby and Cameron. Thank you for taking time from your busy schedules to be here with us today.

Shelby:  It's our pleasure.

Cam:  Thanks for inviting us. So…what's on your mind?

Well, I'm curious about several things. Why would Shelby suddenly pack up and leave her lifetime home city of San Francisco and move to Seattle, a city where she didn't know anyone, for a job contract that was just a one year special project? And Cameron, why all the rumors about the mysterious past of someone wealthy and powerful who's known worldwide as a patron of the arts and for his support of many charitable causes?

Let's start with you, Shelby. You were born in San Francisco and had lived there your whole life when you suddenly picked up and moved to Seattle to take a job as a consultant with Pierce Industries on a one year project. That seems like an abrupt change to your life and for something that was temporary.

Shelby:  It wasn't as abrupt as it sounds. [Cam takes her hand in a show of support] My husband of ten years had died in a fall down the stairs in our house. Even though I had proof that I wasn't home at the time, the police had investigated, and the medical examiner ruled it an accidental death, my former in-laws harassed me non-top for the next four years, blaming me for his death. And the Haywoods usually got what they wanted. They believe the rules and the law doesn't apply to them.

Cam:  The Haywoods have been prominent in San Francisco for several generations, powerful and wealthy. I had never met Shelby before she started the consultant's job with my company. My executive vice-president negotiated her contract. I wasn't aware that she was associated with those Haywoods. I was naturally curious about why she would move from San Francisco to Seattle to accept a temporary job that only lasted one year. And then two weeks after she began work, I started receiving threatening anonymous letters. Coincidence? I wasn't sure.

Shelby:  It seemed that Cam had become the focus of some sort of a dangerous situation that included attempts on his life.

Cam: And when one of those attempts injured Shelby, I knew I had to do everything I could to protect her from being caught up in the danger that seemed to suddenly be surrounding me for reasons unknown.

What steps did you take to protect her? And what about you? As you were the target of the threats, you were still in danger. Did you consider leaving town, maybe leaving the state?

Cam:  You mean go into hiding? No. I have a large international corporation to run and thousands of people depending on me for their income. I can't simply pick up and go into hiding. I did insist that Shelby move into my house. I have an excellent security system. She would be able to work from my home office.

And did that resolve the problem of her safety?

Cam:  No. She thanked me but turned down my offer.

Shelby:  Like Cam, I can't allow my life to be controlled by fear. I did offer him another avenue, one that hadn't occurred to me earlier. My best friend in San Francisco has a older brother. The three of us grew up together. He lives in Seattle now and is a professor of criminology at the university. One of the classes he teaches is about profiling. Cam agreed to meet with him to see if he could provide some information about who would be doing this and why. It proved to be a very informative meeting that gave us a whole new avenue to pursue.

That sounds interesting. What did he come up with?

Shelby:  [laughs] It's all in the book.

[joins Shelby's laugh] Are you pulling that 'you have to read the book' answer on me?

Shelby:  [smiles] So it would seem.

Cam:  It turns out that there was a whole lot more going on than anyone ever suspected.

Could you elaborate on that?

Cam:  As Shelby said, it's all in the book.

[laughs] I have the feeling that's all I'm going to get out of you.

Shelby:  [extends a teasing grin] Maybe you'd like to hear about my first day at kindergarten?

Cam:  [laughs] I'm sure you'll enjoy that story.

Well, I see you aren't going to tell me anything more about the secrets from your past, the life-threatening danger that surrounded you, and how it was resolved. How about some information on how you handled a budding romance in the middle of all the turmoil and chaos?

Shelby:  It's all—

Cam:  —in the book.

[laughs] Thank you Shelby and Cam for being here today.

SECRETS FROM THE PAST, a sensual mystery/romantic suspense published by The Wild Rose Press, www.thewildrosepress.com  Veiled threats endanger secrets from Cameron's past and soon escalate to attempts on his life. Shelby has her own secrets that could destroy her future with Cameron…or get them both killed.

BLURB:

After the death of her husband, Shelby Haywood needs to escape the constant harassment from her former in-laws who blame her for his death. When offered a job with Pierce Industries in Seattle, she eagerly accepts but is unprepared for her instant attraction to the company's very desirable owner.

The moment billionaire Cameron Pierce meets Shelby, he knows she's what's been missing from his life. Veiled threats endanger secrets from his past and soon escalate to attempts on his life. When one attempt injures Shelby, he vows to protect her.

Shelby has her own secrets that could destroy her future with Cameron…or get them both killed.

EXCERPT:

Cam placed his hand at the small of her back as he guided her out of the building and toward the parking lot. Tremors of excitement assaulted her senses the moment he made physical contact, then the excitement stalled as it mingled with her feelings of guilt.

“I’ll follow you to your house so you can drop off your car,” his voice broke into her thoughts, “then we’ll go to dinner from there.”

Cam’s gaze quickly but expertly swept the surrounding area. He wrinkled his brow into a slight frown as he pulled out his cell phone and hit the speed dial for the maintenance department.

“This is Cameron. We have a couple of security lights burned out in the executive parking lot. Could someone please get them replaced as soon as possible?” He listened for a moment before speaking again. “Thanks, that will be fine.” He returned his cell phone to his pocket. “Strange that the two burned out lights would be next to each other. That makes a very large, dark area.”

They stepped off the curb into the darkness, crossing the driveway toward the parking lot and Shelby’s car. The roar of an engine and screeching tires came at them from out of the dark. A hard adrenaline surge shot through Cam. Grabbing Shelby’s arm, he yanked her aside so hard they both fell to the pavement. He held her tightly as he rolled out of the way, taking her with him. The car sped off, barely missing them. It scraped against a signpost on the way out of the parking lot before it disappeared down the street into the night.

Cam cradled Shelby’s trembling body in his arms. His heart pounded as he tried to force his breathing under control. “Are you okay? Are you hurt?”

“I…I’m fine.” The quaver in her voice matched the fear on her face. “What about you? Are you okay?”

“Yeah, nothing’s broken.” The image from twenty-five years ago suddenly flooded his mind as vividly as when it had happened, the sight of his innocent little six-year-old cousin being cut down by bullets meant for someone else.

SECRETS FROM THE PAST buy links:

https://www.amazon.com/Secrets-Past-Samantha-Gentry-ebook/dp/B0CJG4CMYX

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/books/1144089246?ean=2940186044321

and other online vendors

Excerpts and other information available on my website  www.samanthagentry.com 

Visit my blog, a new post on Sundays:  https://samanthagentry.blogspot.com  

2 comments:

Ilona Fridl said...

Enjoyed the interview! Best wishes on the book.

Samantha Gentry said...

Ilona: Glad you enjoyed it.

Thanks for your comment.